Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Gyro with Homemade Tzatziki Sauce

This was a recipe that I made when I was tired of just reheating leftover lamb. I know the normal tzatziki sauce is supposed to have plain yogurt, but when you don’t have all the ingredients necessary, you need to make do. I decided to try it out with sour cream instead and it was a good thing I did because I liked it much better than when I make it with yogurt.

Just remember, it’s dinnertime somewhere!
XOXO,
Esra

Gyro with Homemade Tzatziki Sauce
3 Gals and a Kitchen

Ingredients
Using your leftover meat from the Roasted Lamb and Potatoes Recipe cut the lamb into slices enough for the number of people you are serving.
½ of large sweet onion
1 c sour cream
1 medium peeled/chopped cucumber
1 clove of garlic
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil (the good kind)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon dill
¼ c feta cheese (this is my secret ingredient)
dash of salt/pepper
pita bread
tomatoes and lettuce (optional)

Heat a 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a medium-skillet. Using your left over lamb cut the meat into slices and place in a medium-skillet. Give the sweet onion a quick rough chop and toss it into the skillet.
Meanwhile, break out your food processor and add the cucumbers, sour cream, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, dill, feta cheese, salt, and pepper into the food processor. Set it on pulse to help blend all of the ingredients and chop up the cucumber. You can serve it immediately, but I prefer to refrigerate the tzatziki sauce for a few hours prior to serving. This allows the various flavors to blend.

**Sprinkle some more feta on top of the finished product if you love cheese as much as I do. Also you can add lettuce and tomatoes if you like.**

1 comment:

  1. I have a great Tzatziki recipe from Sandra Lee linked on my blog. It has a bit of hot sauce in it for a kick!
    http://aligirlcooks.blogspot.com/2010/01/celebration-of-new-beginnings.html

    ReplyDelete