Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Slow-Cookin' BBQ Chicken

I've been hearing about Lisa Lillien's Hungry Girl books for awhile now, and it was time I tried out one of her recipes. If all her recipes are as good (and kind to the waistline) as this one is, she will definitely be living up to the hype. I served the barbeque on honey wheat sandwich thins and bought the prepackaged cole slaw to top Wes's BBQ. I had my sandwich plain, and I couldn't stop myself from having seconds (and thirds!). Enjoy! -Allison Y.

Slow-Cookin' BBQ Chicken
Courtesy of Hungry Girl 1-2-3

Ingredients:
1 cup canned tomato sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons brown sugar (not packed)
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 pounds raw boneless skinless lean chicken breasts (halved)
Optional: coleslaw and sandwich thins
Directions:
Place all ingredients except chicken in the crock pot. Stir until mixed. Add chicken and coat well with the sauce. Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours, until chicken is fully cooked.

Remove all the chicken and place it in a bowl. Shred each piece using two forks - one to hold the chicken in place and the other to scrape across the meat and shred it. Return the shredded chicken to the crock pot, and mix well with the sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment