Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Paula's Shrimp and Creamy Cheddar Grits

This is an easy and amazing recipe. In the words of my guy, 'This is phenomenal' and I must agree with him. I love Paula Deen and she inspires many of the recipes that I make. I usually take her recipes and cut some of the fat out by using skim milk or I Can't Believe It's Not Butter. Enjoy this hearty meal!

XOXO,
Esra

Paula’s Shrimp and Creamy Cheddar Grits

6 slices applewood-smoked bacon, chopped (I did not use bacon. I used EVOO when it called for bacon drippings)
½ c diced red bell pepper
½ c diced green bell pepper
½ c sweet onion, diced
1 cloves garlic, minced
1 TBSP Creole seasoning
½ c dry white wine
1 lb large fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 TBSP fresh lemon juice
2 TBSP minced fresh chives
Creamy Cheddar Grits (recipe as follows)
Thinly sliced chives (optional)

In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, removed bacon from pan, and drain on paper towels. Reserve 2 TBSP bacon drippings in skillet (this is where I used EVOO instead since I did not use bacon in my recipe). Add peppers, garlic, and creole seasoning; cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, for 1 to 2 minutes or until shrimp are pink and firm. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice and minced chives.

Serve shrimp mixture over Creamy Cheddar grits. Sprinkle evenly with bacon, and sprinkle with
thinly sliced fresh chives. Serve immediately.

Creamy Cheddar Grits

1 (32 oz) carton reduced sodium chicken broth
1 c water
1 cup instant grits
1 c half-and-half (I used skim milk)
1 ½ c shredded extra sharp white cheddar cheese
3 TBSP butter
¼ tsp ground white pepper

In a medium saucepan, combine chicken broth and 1 c water; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add grits, stirring until combined. Return to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring frequently, and slowly stir in half-and-half and continue to cook until thickened. Remove from heat, and stir in cheese, butter, and white pepper, stirring until cheese is melted.

Recipe courtesy of: Deen, Paula. "Paula's Shrimp and Creamy Cheddar Grits." Cooking with Paula Deen. Sept/Oct 2010 Issue: p. 69

No comments:

Post a Comment