Sunday, October 24, 2010

Not Your Grannie's Pot Roast

Since I was awake by 7 this morning, I thought I would go ahead and toss a pot roast into the slow cooker. Autumn is my favorite time of year because I can make hearty recipes: pot roast, chili, meatloaf, and shrimp and creamy cheddar grits. Oh the possibilities are endless! XOXO, Esra




Not Your Grannie's
Pot Roast

3 Gals and a Kitchen



1 (3 LB) boneless bottom chuck roast

¼ c EVOO
Salt
Pepper
1 sweet onion, diced
1 c chopped carrots
1 c chopped celery
4 new potatoes cubed
3 garlic cloves, diced
3 c beef broth
½ c dry white wine
1 c chopped button mushrooms
2 TBSP butter (I Can't Believe It's Not Butter)
2 TBSP flour
1 c skim milk

In a medium skillet, add EVOO and roast. Begin to sear the roast on all sides, go ahead and salt and pepper the roast. Meanwhile, chop the onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, garlic and set aside. Transfer the roast into the slow cooker, layer the vegetables on top of your roast, and add beef broth and white wine. Using the same medium skillet, begin to sauté chopped mushrooms in butter, stir in flour and gradually skim milk to ensure no clumps. Pour the cream of mushroom mixture on top of the roast.

Cover and cook on the low setting for 8-10 hours.

**I like using a homemade cream of mushroom mixture to help control the fat going into my recipe and using fresh ingredients adds to the flavor of the pot roast (hence why I called this recipe, "Not Your Grannie's Pot Roast").We all know our grannies like to toss in whole milk and heavy cream into their recipes.**

No comments:

Post a Comment