Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

Left over chicken, veggies, potatoes, and juice from the Whole Chicken and Potatoes recipe can be used to make chicken noodle soup.

xoxo,
E

Homemade Chicken Soup
Compliments of Crystal Miller

  • 1 whole chicken or leg and thigh combination or leftover chicken and bones from last night’s chicken dinner :) If using a whole chicken you could get more soup stock and have extra dinners for the freezer
  • 1 onion
  • Add more carrots and celery, if desired
  • Salt
  • Seasoning salt
  • Poultry seasonings
  • Garlic
  • Noodles, egg or fettuccini (I think bow tie noodles are pretty so I used them in the soup)
Put chicken or pieces into soup pot. Cover well with water. Add onion and salt (I use about 1 T. salt for 12 cups of water). Bring to a boil and simmer until chicken falls off the bone, about 2 to 3 hours. I strain out the chicken by pouring the soup into a colander that I set inside of a large pan. I pour the broth back into my soup pot and let the chicken cool to the point I can take the meat off the bone. While the chicken is cooling I add the carrots to the simmering broth. I also put in about 1-teaspoon poultry seasoning and a little bit of seasoning salt. When I finish deboning the cooled chicken I put the meat into my pot. I then add noodles and cook for about 10 minutes or (amount varies, I just put in probably 4 or 5 cups of dry noodles for the 12 cups of water). I then adjust my seasonings according to taste and enjoy with fresh homemade bread. This soup freezes well. The noodles will sometimes fall apart when it has been defrosted and heated up. We are not picky about that, but if you wanted intact noodles you could freeze everything but the noodles and add that after it has defrosted.

No comments:

Post a Comment