Allison sent me a version of this recipe to try and I decided to add ground beef, garlic, and roasted red pepper to this recipe. She has made this without eggs and said it turned out wonderful. The next time I make this recipe I will add fresh spinach, try shredded chicken, and top it with some feta cheese to give it that European flare that I have grown to love.
- 2 cups uncooked penne (an 8-ounce box isn't quite 2 cups)
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces (I used I Can’t Believe It’s not butter)
- 2 1/2 cups (about 10 ounces) grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed Cheddar cheese soup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk (I used 2%)
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 roasted red pepper (diced)
- 1 clove of garlic (chopped)
- garnish with parsley and parmesan cheese.
- Boil the macaroni in a 2 quart saucepan in plenty of water until tender, about 7 minutes. Drain.
- In a medium saucepan, mix butter and cheese. Stir until the cheese melts.
- In a pan, cook the ground beef. Do not overcook since it will be in the slow cooker. Drain.
- In a slow cooker, combine cheese/butter mixture and add the eggs, sour cream, soup, salt, milk, mustard and pepper and stir well. Then add drained macaroni and ground beef and stir again.
- Add the diced roasted red pepper and the garlic. Stir again.
- Set the slow cooker on low setting and cook for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.