Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Roasted Red Pepper Mac n Cheese

The time has come to load up on some carbs for my dodgeball game tonight. I know, I know, eating carbs right before you go play sports is not exactly what they meant by loading up on carbs.

Allison sent me a version of this recipe to try and I decided to add ground beef, garlic, and roasted red pepper to this recipe. She has made this without eggs and said it turned out wonderful. The next time I make this recipe I will add fresh spinach, try shredded chicken, and top it with some feta cheese to give it that European flare that I have grown to love.

XOXO,
Esra

 Roasted Red Pepper Mac n Cheese

Ingredients 
  • 2 cups uncooked penne (an 8-ounce box isn't quite 2 cups)
  • 4 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces (I used I Can’t Believe It’s not butter)
  • 2 1/2 cups (about 10 ounces) grated sharp Cheddar cheese
  • 1 lb lean ground beef
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed Cheddar cheese soup
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup whole milk (I used 2%)
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 roasted red pepper (diced)
  • 1 clove of garlic (chopped)
  • garnish with parsley and parmesan cheese. 
Directions 
  1. Boil the macaroni in a 2 quart saucepan in plenty of water until tender, about 7 minutes. Drain.
  2. In a medium saucepan, mix butter and cheese. Stir until the cheese melts.
  3. In a pan, cook the ground beef. Do not overcook since it will be in the slow cooker. Drain.
  4. In a slow cooker, combine cheese/butter mixture and add the eggs, sour cream, soup, salt, milk, mustard and pepper and stir well. Then add drained macaroni and ground beef and stir again.
  5. Add the diced roasted red pepper and the garlic. Stir again.
  6. Set the slow cooker on low setting and cook for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment