Penne with Homemade Vodka Sauce
• 1 bag fresh red or white pearl onions
• 1 tablespoon EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• 2 tablespoons butter (I Can’t Believe it’s Not Butter)
• 2 to 3 cloves garlic , finely chopped
• Salt and pepper
• 1/2 cup vodka
• 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes, drained
• 1 cup cream (reduced fat)
• 1 box penne rigate (whole wheat)
• 1/4 cup tarragon, chopped
• 1/2 cup basil leaves, thinly sliced or torn
• Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
Bring a medium-size pot of water to a boil. Add pearl onions and boil 3 minutes. Drain, cool and trim root ends. Pop onions out of the skins.
Place a large pot of water over high heat for the pasta.
Heat a deep saucepan or skillet over medium heat with EVOO and butter. Add onions and garlic to skillet, season with salt and pepper. Add vodka and reduce a minute or 2. Add tomatoes and stir. Heat through then add cream and let reduce at a low, bubbling simmer while pasta cooks.
Cook pasta in boiling, salted water to al dente and drain.
Add herbs to pasta sauce and stir to heat through, 1-2 minutes. Add pasta to sauce and toss 1 minute to combine. Serve pasta with grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese at the table.
Recipe Adapted from Rachael Ray Show